Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Scrapping - Meet Tina

Hi Everyone - we hope you had a great week and if you are in Australia - that you have not been too affected by the terrible weather events that have been happening over there.

Did you see the posts this week from Lowri, Shirley and Liz?


Plenty of inspiration there for lots of LOVELY projects! 

We have already had a couple of entries into the challenge - please see last week's Sunday post for details and send your entries to artfullcraftsdt@gmail.com. We love to see them and next week we will announce what the fabulous prize will be!

For our feature this week we are meeting another member of our Design Team.....

 
SUNDAY SCRAPPING -
Meet The Design Team


This week we are meeting Tina Connolly - a talented scrapbooker from Queensland. 

I asked Tina how she would describe her style and she came up with this great answer!
"I have difficulty putting myself into one genre!  I love shabby chic, but also do simple LOs,  grungy LOs , and experimental/artsy layouts.  It depends on the photos, time available, and where I'm scrapping (at crops I tend to do simple, multi-photo layouts because I can't cart around all my "stuff").   
I was asked the other day for a few words that describe my style, and came up with  "innovative, textured, & detailed".  I really love using lots of techniques on my pages, & have the most fun scrapping when I'm experimenting."
We asked Tina the following questions and we also asked her to share three of her favourite projects.


How were you introduced to scrapbooking?
I attended a Crafty Kids party,  bought a few stickers and stamps, and made a scrapbook as my youngest daughter's Baby Book.  I  did some very basic pages, then didn't do any until about 4 years ago.  I found a whole new world of cool products was available.  I started playing & experimenting, and I was hooked!  I had only attended one scrapbooking class before I started teaching, but have been lucky enough to attend Creative Block, and some classes run by Print Blocks with Jane Tregenza (who is on on the Graphic 45 Design Team), and Jenny Sutherland (NZ).

What inspires you for layouts, projects, cards?
My layouts are inspired by the photos and memories/feelings that they envoke.  When I make cards, it is sometimes trying out different techniques, other times by the occasion/who its for.  I quite often see ideas for colour combos/textures in interior decorating and fashion trends.
"Family"
I love the texture in this layout, plus it's a special photo.  The cardboard was distressed and then painted & inked.  I inked the bird and title using two colours.  Then I sprayed it with GlimerMist, and used Distress Stickles to add details & texture to the bird.  The chipboard scrolls have been inked and dry embossed.  There is a hidden journalling pocket behind the photo.

What other project types do you like to work on besides scrapbook pages?
I enjoy doing canvases, cards, and tags.  I tend to collect OTP projects to do "one day".  I loved making the Kaisercraft Christmas tree, and Kutalicious Christmas baubles to decorate my home for the festive season.

What is your favourite scrapbook brand and why?
Are you serious, you want me to just choose one?  For versatility of products I can't go past Tim Holtz, with his dies, masks, inks, tools, embossing folders I can create fantastic, original, and unique embellishments, and papers of my own.    I also love Prima & Websters Pages for their gorgeous feminine papers, laces, ribbons and flowers.  Oh....and Pink Paislee, K & Company, & Graphic 45!
"Blossoming Beauty"
Another favourite photo of my girls.  This was really an experimental piece, I used a canvas backwards, tore up my (perfectly good) K & Company paper and adhered it with Modge Podge.  Once it was tacky I brushed lots of Perfect Pearls (by Ranger) which gave it a gorgeous sheen.  I painted the exposed wood, and Glimmer Misted the outer frame of the canvas, Then added Fantasy Film, & Crystallina shred, covering it with Impasto, then more Perfect Pearls.  The chipboard words were painted, the leaves & flowers Glimmer Misted.   (I've attached a closeup so you can see the shimmer & shine).   I used a Martha Stewart edge punch on the photo mat,  then it was painted gold, and dry embossed.  (Can you tell I love playing with "stuff"?) 

What scrapbooking tools/products can you not do without?
My paper trimmer, distressing tool , & Cutterbee scissors are essentials.   I really love masks, misting, and inking, you can change your papers completely with these three things, and I use at least one of these on almost all my pages.

What is your current favorite technique or embellishment?
My new favourite thing is Diamond Dust, I use it on flowers (to give that Prima look), it can also give the  look of snow or ice.

What do you hope to try or improve on this year?
I'm trying to be better at journalling,  updating my blog on a regular basis, and I want to create more tutorials.   I also hope to organise a major scrapbooking fundraiser for breast cancer later this year.
"Be Yourself"
I love this photo I took of my youngest daughter.  Believe it, or not this used to be plain white paper  - you know the inserts from your album refills?  It was totally transformed using Twinkling H2Os.  There is a tutorial on my blog regarding this "Gladwrap Technique".  Then I sprayed Glimmer MistStazon when stamping over GM or H2Os, it won't smudge and the ink takes on a subtle appearance).   Flowers were sprayed with GM, and details added with Dimensional Pearls.  Chippy was painted with Radiant Rain (Luminart) daubers.  It's very shimmery in the light!  (You can never have too much bling!)
What advice can you give to people just beginning to enjoy scrapbooking?
The  main thing is to just get started and have fun.  Not every layout will be a masterpiece, just play, experiment and enjoy the process.  And don't panic if you  make a mistake, it can almost always be fixed with a little ingenuity.

Do you have a blog?
Yes, www.scrapdiva-tina.blogspot.com  (oh and I love getting comments....that way I know I'm not talking to myself in cyberspace!)

Thanks so much Tina for sharing a little more about yourself with us - we always love looking at your work.



Stay tuned this week for some more great work from the Design Team - and don't forget 

ARTFULL CRAFTS SALE ENDING THURSDAY! 

2 comments:

  1. Great to find out more about you. I love these Sunday Scrappings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the top family layout with the girls - it's a gorgeous photo and the layout enhances it perfectly..

    ReplyDelete