Monday, July 18, 2011

Sunday Scrapping - Make Your Own Designer Coasters!

Hi Everyone – Lowri here with Sunday Scrapping (a day late – sorry!)

Liz has also sent me some great Challenge Entries from last month. Big apology to ladies who missed out on being featured on the blog - it was such a crazy time with SENZ  BUT I will be doing a feature post on them later in the week as well as loading them up to our Competition Gallery which is now all up to date with entries back-dated to the start of our monthly Challenges.  Head on over and take a look :-)

Another Echo Park “For the Record” project to share today and it’s a great way for using up scraps as well as a super cheap way to make some unique and stylish gifts. If you make some be sure to enter them into our monthly Challenge.


Tile Coasters
Not only fun, but this first one is super cheap and definitely one that you can do with older kids too.  Take a look at these coasters - they look "designer" but in fact I reckon you could make a dozen of these for less than $20!


I was going to make a tutorial for these, but I quickly realized I could not possibly improve on the fabulous tutorial shown on the website where I originally saw this idea which was here at the Cottage Home Blog.


I have used papers from the Echo Park "For the Record" Collection (available here in the shop) and if you have not seen Echo Park's 6x6 paper pads I definitely suggest you check them out. They have the scaled-down designs like many manufacturers BUT they are also double sided which gives you many more options for use.

I followed the instructions shown on the tutorial above, with a couple of exceptions. I used Spellbinders squares to cut my squares (I am somehow challenged when trying to cut squares with a paper trimmer!) and instead of felt pads I bought a pack of cork circles to adhere to the bottom ($2.99 from any hardware store)

The steps are basically:
  1. Cut squares of paper to right size
  2. Mod-podge the squares to the tiles making sure to get right to the edges
  3. Apply 3 coats of Mod-Podge over the top of the paper
  4. Spray with acrylic sealer (from hardware store - about $10)

Here are some close-up shots.  These were supposed to be "rustic" looking so I was not concerned with the unfinished edges of the tiles, but you could of course paint them if you wanted a more even look.


Folded Mini Album
I have shown this type of album many times before (album made from one single sheet of paper - see here for my tutorial) but this time I wanted to demonstrate how the "Noteworthy" Paper from the For the Record Collection was perfect for creating a special little notebook

I am a listmaker - so these little titles from the Element Sticker Sheet were perfect for accenting the front of the album! The elements from the Noteworthy paper fit perfectly inside the 4"x3" size of the finished album

 
Each page has a spot for a list, note or little photo
 

Please post a comment with any questions

Lowri :-)

2 comments:

  1. I love the Lowri mini-album! Great coasters too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. just love how you used this wonderful collection

    ReplyDelete