Friday, November 23, 2012

Jo - Dame Cashmere Bookends

Hi Jo here.  I have to admit when I first got these Kaisercraft book ends from Artfull Crafts I was stumped.  I just looked at them for a few days.  I decided just to start covering them using the  Dame Cashmere paper, and hoping that a plan would come to me.  I showed my daughter Aly when she came home my blue plan, and she said,  "No mum,  you have to use the yellow and the flowers".  She knows that yellow isn't one of my favourite colours, but I agreed that it would be bright, and not my usual vintage style.  

I didn't want to just paint and cover the bookends, so I decided to push myself, and use no paint at all.  I also decided to put on Dame Cashmere hat, and really imagine afternoon tea for a Dame, in the garden.

I took the Honeycomb paper and printed out a new cupcake recipe that I found on-line on to it.  Then I pasted it to the inside of the stands.  I added the prima bling clock, because nearly all my projects have a clock on them (have you noticed that?)

I then covered the teapot and cups in the floral paper.             



I used both sides of the paper,  the yellow honeycomb as well as the floral.  I then added red distress ink around the edge, to distress it a bit.  I couldn't help myself, it was just soooooo yellow.  I also had to carefully do all the edges of the pot and cup with paper, which took a lot of patience (it would have been easier to paint it)!  But it was an interesting challenge, especially the inside of the cup handle.

A string of bling was added to both teacup and pot. I wanted to use pearls but they didn't stand out enough, so I went for these aqua ones.

I used the red Gingham paper for the tablecloth.  I cut out the girl from the left over  Gingham paper and put behind the teacup. 

I folded a small paper doily that I had in half, and made a little table cloth.  I made a cupcake from resin, I put a couple of drops of pink alcohol ink into the mix, to get the correct colour, then I poured it into a mini silicon cupcake mould that I picked up at the $2.00 store.  Once it was dry I piped a swirl (yes in my expensive icing bag, and using my good tools!) from modelling compound. I then rubbed a little Kindy Glitz hot pink onto the top when it was dry. 

I made a little vase of flowers, that I added a few small white stones to, and then I could glue them in place, and not see the glue.  I added a couple of mini books, for reading.

Dame Cashmere is now ready for afternoon tea in the garden.    These book ends are on special this week, so make sure you get one! What a great gift for someone who likes to cook, or just to have as a decoration in the kitchen.  You could decorate them yourself, or gift the recipient everything they need to make a similar project.  There are also a few other designs, so go and check them out here.

Enjoy your afternoon.

1 comment: