Sunday, January 25, 2015

Melissa - Too Cool for School Layouts

Good morning, its Melissa here, and it's almost back to school time for my kids, with two more teacher only days on Monday and Tuesday, and school starting on Wednesday.  My husband is a teacher, and school started back for him on Friday.  

This all means it perfect timing to show you two layouts I created with Kaisercraft's new Too Cool for School collection, which you can find in the shop here.

For my first layout I wanted to use the realistic chalkboard background and scrap a large photo of my 5 year old daughter on her first day of school last July.  Our school is so awesome, they take a photo of the kids of their first days, and give a large print to the parents.  The only photos I had of my daughter were of her looking unhappy and emotional, so it was such a blessing to get this lovely photo of her smiling.  

I kept my layout really simple, made the most of the background paper, then just added some stickers, collectables and washi tape from my stash.  


The pencil collectable die cut "Great Day" works perfectly as my title.


I cut the "today"banner from one of the journalling cards.


The ruler is from the sticker sheet, and I just layered it under my photo, with some washi tape on top. The scalloped border is cut from one of the patterned papers with my border punch.


My second layout is a mixed media page where I created my own background by cutting apart one of the papers, gluing the strips down randomly, adding some punched stars, and then covering the whole page with gesso.  Next I added some water colours, my photos in a row, and then just added stickers and collectable die cuts (much like the previous page).



The page is about my son who won a special award at school in 2013.  The blurry photo in the middle is the only photo we have, which was taken with an iPhone.  I took the two photos of the award with my DSLR, just before we had to give the trophy back.  So whilst the photo in the middle isn't great quality, the story needs to be recorded in Sam's album.

And here are some close ups:




Thanks for looking, and I hope you're enjoying our hot Summer!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment